Friday, December 30, 2016

Royal Victoria Dock to Greenwich via the Woolwich Free Ferry

Clear blue skies from dawn to dusk for our long walk from Royal Victoria Dock to the O2 Peninsula  via the Woolwich Ferry. It is probably nearly 50 years since I was a foot passenger on the ferry - much of my earlier days were spent on the ferry crossing to the Royal Docks where, with my brother and friends, we played among the machinery and deep water (health and safety hadn't been invented). I have memories of the greasy smell, noise and sight of the huge pistons in the engine room of the ferry - now replaced with more or less silent and completely hidden diesel engines. Views of Woolwich Barrier, Tate and Lyle Sugar Factory, Gravel extraction Works, Emirates Airline and Canary Wharf.




No comments:

Ann Miles Photography - My Favourite Images of the Past10 years or so