In continuous occupation since the 7th century, the farmlands surrounding the hall were purchased by John Gascoigne to form part of his newly acquired Parlington Estate in the 1540s. The Hall itself did not become the property of the family until 1825. Colonel Frederick Gascoigne, who inherited the property in 1893 transformed the hall to its present form. After his death in 1937 the estates passed to his son, who retired here in 1953 after an active diplomatic career. In 1968 they presented the Hall to the City of Leeds, together with its park, garden and art collections.
The Chapel is 11th Century with Norman arches and a simple interior full of memorials to the Gascoigne family.