Monday, January 5, 2015

Avoncroft Interiors from 1950s

There is a furnished prefab from the 1950s at Avoncroft, which I enjoyed as many items were familiar from my London childhood.  Prefabricated buildings were put up in England at the end of the war to replace houses destroyed in the bombing. I particularly liked the sitting room with an old TV as a very early memory is Muffin the Mule on a small flickering screen


The Tollhouse brought back memories of a great aunt's house in Woolwich, South London, that I visited as a child regularly. There was no electricity and the water supply and toilet were in the outside yard. All cooking and heating was via an iron range in the kitchen; the metal teapot would stay on the stove all day producing incredibly strong brew. Lighting was with oil lamps and the house was always damp so they were continually wallpapering. I used to enjoy making the rag rugs from cut-up textiles. The two sisters remained in the house until demolition in the mid 1960s.


No comments:

Ann Miles Photography - My Favourite Images of the Past10 years or so