Tuesday, September 17, 2019

Switzerland 7. An Hour with the Wood Ants

On our last day in Switzerland, I decided to do an easy 90 minute walk down from Wengeralp towards Wengen but, of course, I got distracted on the way down by various insects including several nests of Wood Ants. I spent an hour at one site where the ants were returning to the nest along a tree trunk lit by dappled sunlight through canopy. They were either carrying nest material (first 5) or prey for the larvae. I now want to know whether they have a division of labour - some do nest material, some food or if it is serendipitous. Dragging the spider  to the nest was a real problem as the ants on each of the 8 legs pulled in different directions.

1 comment:

moorejphotography said...

Fascinating behaviour. Great images.

Ann Miles Photography - My Favourite Images of the Past10 years or so