Barrington Court is a Tudor manor house begun around 1538 and completed in the late 1550s near Ilminster,Somerset. The house was owned by several families until 1745 after which it fell into disrepair and was used as a tenant farm. After repair by Alfred Hoare Powell, it was the first house acquired by the National Trust, in 1907, on the recommendation of the antiquarian Canon Hardwicke Rawnsley. Colonel Lyle leased Barrington Court from the National Trust in 1917. He was the grandson of Abram Lyle, who introduced Golden Syrup. Barrington Court is noted for its Arts and Crafts-style gardens for which garden designer Gertrude Jekyll provided planting plans. It is now open but unfurnished which helps show off the intricate wooden panelling collected by Lyle.