Monday, August 11, 2008

Two Gannet Images


These are two images from a recent trip to Bass Rock in Scotland to observe the Gannet Colony. There are 50,000 breeding pairs on the rock and almost as many non-breeding pairs.
This is one of my favourites as it shows all the stages of gannets diving for fish. It was taken from the fishing boat taking us to the island after fish had been thrown overboard.



It was a windy day so the gannets coming into land hovered in the updraft allowing some good shots of their flying techniques.
I am in the process of revamping my website and these and more images from the trip will appear in due course!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ann

Great pictures - I love the one of the Ganets diving, as it does indeed show the full range of stages, and the birds are nicely separated. If I didn't know you better, I'd say "photoshop", but I know it's just a great picture.

Ivan (from CCC)

Anonymous said...

My original message didn't reach this blog, so I'll try again! They are lovely images and I just wondered if you were able to get far enough away from the colony to isolate an individual and/or a pair?

Ann Miles said...

Comment 2 Impossible to isolate singles as on the rock you are standing or sitting right amongst the birds and on the boat there are just hundreds of gannets in the air all the time.
Comment 1 For the diving, I used my each of two cameras on continuous fire until they stopped shooting because of writing delay and then swopped - so had an awful lot of pictures to choose from.

Ann Miles Photography - My Favourite Images of the Past10 years or so