Wednesday, December 11, 2019

Edinburgh 3. Leith Walk to Botanic Gardens

On Monday, I walked from my hotel next to Donaldson along the River Leith (well where I could) to the Botanic Gardens. The Donaldson Building was opened in 1851 by Queen Victoria as a hospital and community centre. It is the work of William Playfair. whose other designs include The Scottish National Gallery and the Parthenon-style National Monument. By 2008, the building had fallen into such disrepair that its tenant at the time, a school for deaf children, was relocated.  Now, the sandstone structure that some say should have been the Scottish parliament is being turned into luxury flats.
The walk along the Leith has unfortunately been closed due to landslips so I had lots of diversions through the streets and spent time photographing the tenaments , chimney pots etc.

No comments:

Ann Miles Photography - My Favourite Images of the Past10 years or so