Sunday, January 31, 2016

Short-Eared Owls Hertfordshire

We decided to try a different location for Short-Eared Owls and drove over to Heartwood Forest near Welwyn, where we joined lots of other owl watchers including Ray. My favourites were the first two images, which are the last I took yesterday when the sun finally came through just before we headed home. The light at 3pm when we spied the first owls was not good and I really missed my 300mm 2.8 lens as working on the 7D and 100-400 mm resulted in very noisy images. However, I enjoyed the visit very much with lighter equipment and the photos are certainly good enough to remind me of the experience. Will take tripod next time!! Last image is of Rudolph the Red-nosed Owl!!


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ann, what lovely photos that must have been an amazing experience.
I have been photographing wildlife for a few years now and I have yet to get shots of owls - my favourite winged predator!
I live in knebworth very near to this forest.

Do you have any tips on increasing the likelihood of getting some shots of the magnificent creatures? Times of day? Better locations in the forest? Time of year even?

Many thanks!
Paul

Ann Miles Photography - My Favourite Images of the Past10 years or so